Monday, November 3, 2008

Canada vs. U.S.

Heather always says that she would like to see Alejandro Gonzalez-Innaratu or Fernando Meirelles do a rom-com or just something different. I'm starting to feel that way about Guy Maddin. For awhile, I was just happy someone was out there making the type of films he makes. Yeah, I'm over it. I haven't disliked any of his movies, but I pretty much know what it's going to be: in black and white, dreamlike, very Canadian and either silent or have narcissistic narration. It's getting predictable. On the other hand, there's Kevin Smith. Who also pretty much makes the same film over and over and has shown zero growth. But I have no beef with Kevin Smith. I know his movies are going to lewd and entertaining and I have no problem with that. Since Chasing Amy, I have even liked all of his films about the same and for the last few I have even known that going in they will end up being 3 and a half stars out of five. Yes, haters- even Jersey Girl. Hell, everyone even knows his movies are going to make around $30 million, that's how predictable his game is. Why am I fine with Kevin Smith doing what I am complaining about with Guy Maddin? Partially, it's because I know Guy Maddin is talented enough to make whatever the hell he wants, so I would like to see him challenge himself. Kevin Smith can probably only make Kevin Smith films. It's challenging enough for him to move his camera. Here's an idea they should work together and make a hockey film. Wait, they both already do that on their own.

Go see I Served The King of England.

No comments: