Monday, July 21, 2008

dvd releases 7/22

DVD picks for 7/22:

Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant) Blockbuster Excluive.

Re-release picks:
Bird (Clint Eastwood)
High and Low (Akira Kurosawa)
Un Flic (Jean-Pierre Melville)
Wild Reeds (Andre Techine)

New releases I want to see:
Help Me Eros (Lee Kang-Sheng) The 2nd directorial effort and first available on DVD from the star of the Tsai Ming-Liang filmography.
Love Songs (Christophe Honore) It appears to actually coming out on the 22nd instead of the previously reported date of 7/8.
Spaced: The Complete Series (Edgar Wright) TV series starring and directed by the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz team.
My Favorite Season/I Don't Kiss/Hotel America (Andre Techine) The 3 of the 4 I haven't seen in the box set.
Big Dreams, Little Tokyo (David Boyle) I know nothing about this, except the plot description.
CSNY Deja Vu (Neil Young) This comes out in theatres in limited cities on Friday. According to Netflix, they will have it day and date. So if this is actually being released, then I am sort of interested.

Speaking of the sort of interested:
Duck (Nicole Bettaur) Again, know nothing besides description and that it stars Phillip Baker Hall, which is also a plus.
Satantango (Bela Tarr) 7 and a half hours is a huge commitment for something I am expecting to be very slow.
21 (Robert Luketic) Everybody has said this is crap and I do believe them. Still mildly interested.

2 comments:

troy myers said...

paranoid park is a winner and gets the beer cannes seal of highest approval. mon saison prefere is not too far behind. love songs doesn't know when it wants to come out...and bad timing is awful thing for most romantic ballads. as for satantango, my dream is it will be a 7 hour gus van sant film, which i have heard it described as. my fear is that it will be a seven hour gus van sant film.

SEA said...

Big Dreams Little Tokyo is good and has been well reviewed everywhere. Check out it's website!