Monday, July 21, 2008

Trying to help the key fit into the lock

Key Cinemas is doing another complete overhaul of its operations. He has decided to open movies on Wednesday. He'll be open from Wednesday to Sunday and closed on Monday and Tuesday. I have nothing but respect for what Ron Keedy does and this is in no way an attack against what he's doing.

Here's my advice for him, decide what you want to do and DON'T CHANGE IT. I never know if he's open for a full day or only in the evening, which days of the week he's open or the admission price. If I can't keep track of these things, I know the general public can't either. I understand the reason for all of the changes is trying to find what will work the best. I understand the notion of opening movies on Wednesday to not get lost on Friday. I understand trying to create publicity. Unfortunately, the general public needs to be trained. I'm afraid most people will realize movies are opening on Wednesday about the same time he goes back to opening on Friday. Support from The Indianapolis Star is tenuous at the very best. If the review is printed on Wednesday, nobody will read it. Limited release or "art" films live and die by their reviews in the Star.

1 comment:

troy myers said...

i think another decision that nneds to be made is the one that lets us know if he is going to be doing first run movies or running reperatory programs off of dvd. i couldn't make it to see stuck because the one time a day he was showing it during the weekend(due to some retro fest or another)was inconvenient for me. if you are going to show new movies, you have to have at least 3 showtimes during the day and always a 7 and a 9.