Wednesday, July 9, 2008

There's no smoking aloud in the Four Seasons

There was a news item today about the public smoking ban in Chicago that has led to the Jersey Boys stage show not being able to show people smoking on stage. I don't smoke. I don't particularly care for cigarette smoke. But this is ridiculous. It's one thing to not let people smoke in tight enclosed areas. It's another thing entirely to not let people smoke in public. In the article I read, they also said the new Michael Mann film is running into the same problems in Chicago. Because no smoking in a film about the era of Dillinger is realistic in any way. I think it was Rob Reiner who was one of the first people that said the state of California should be 100% smoke-free. Hasn't the statue of limitations run out on anyone giving a crap about what Rob Reiner thinks? The man hasn't made a movie I would be willing to watch since The Ghosts of Mississippi. That movie came out in 1996! The whole smoking ban is just another way that the country cannot or will not find a happy medium. The art of compromise has seemed to be thrown out the window long ago. Were a country of I'm right, you're wrong and your opinion doesn't matter.

2 comments:

Shane M. White said...

AMEN!
I'm sick and tired of "Big Brother" America trying to run everyone's lives.

You wanna smoke? We're going to charge you extra for those cigs.

You wanna smoke? You'd better go outside, we don't want it in here.

WHY can't the non-smokers go outside and leave the smokers inside?

Now, I'm NOT a smoker myself, but I am also VERY anti-oppression, and that's exactly how I view laws like this. It seems that America is attempting to squeeze out smoking - with no concern for the rights of people who smoke. Basically, if you are a smoker - you have less rights to America, than those who do not smoke.

In Maine, you're not allowed to smoke in a car if children are present - and I think they are trying to get a similar law passed out West somewhere. I also thought that I once read an article that somewhere was trying to make it illegal to smoke in your own house - if you had children present. SERIOUSLY? In your own house?

Oppression is ridiculous, and that's how America is attempting to "solve" smoking. If I could, I would lit up a cigarette and blow the smoke directly in the face of America - Piss Off, You Oppressive Arrogant Ass of a Country!

Justin said...

Its only going to get worse!!..And people are going to see what power the govt and states THINK they have over the american citizen..Revolution!!!..